80 YEARS OF DISTRIBUTION IN EAST ANGLIA
In 1911 Charles Makepeace Evans, grandfather of our current managing director, Richard, established a branch of the United Mnfg. Co. Ltd in Bury St Edmunds.
The parent company, based in Cardiff, was a light industrial manufacturer and oil importer and it was the oil distribution to Agricultural Contractors in East Anglia which prompted the opening of a branch in Suffolk. In the early twenties, Mr Evans took the opportunity to buy the Bury St Edmunds branch and then diversified so that by 1939 his company was selling, in addition to oil for steam engines, machine spares to Threshing & Baling Contractors throughout Great Britain.
On the death of Mr Evans in 1948, David Evans, aged 21 and just demobbed from the Navy, took over a Company with a major challenge as Combine Harvesters had completely revolutionised the harvest scene so he followed his father’s example and diversified, one diversification was into Industrial Fasteners and Transmission Equipment which, having proved itself, became D J Evans (Bury) Ltd in 1957. Stanley Pallant, its first Managing Director, built up an excellent relationship with local Manufacturers, Engineers and the Farming Community and stayed with the company for 30 years until his retirement.
Over the years many trading relationships were forged with the established Fasteners manufacturers - Benjamin Priest, Charles Wednesbury, Guest Keen & Nettlefold - and these famous companies still supply D J Evans today, albeit under new trading names such as Atlas Bolts, Unbrako etc. We are proud of our long association with the U.K Fasteners manufacturers and are one of the very few completely independent companies to maintain these direct accounts.
The purchase by the Evans family of a GKN depot servicing Norfolk and Cambridgeshire fifteen years ago and the opening of a depot at Ipswich in 1995 completes our coverage of East Anglia. However our regular delivery service now extends far beyond East Anglia to all areas of the U.K.
Further diversification has occurred in recent years with the company now offering a wide range of Hand/Power Tools and consumables to both the Engineering and Building Industries. These additions all compliment our traditional fastener business and assist us in offering one stop shop facility. In 1998 we further strengthened our expertise in the tool and tooling side of our business with the acquisition of an engineering and welding supplies company.
With all the changes over the years we have constantly endeavoured to combine a high level of service with competitive pricing, involving us in a close working relationship both with customers and suppliers and we look forward to the future with confidence.